Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolute

This time of year everyone is setting new Resolutions for 2009. Primarily, they are all for themselves though. “I want to lose weight, I want to get out of debt. I want to get published. I want this, oh, and that...”

Yet, how much more would it benefit us to do something for someone else? Or even to make it a point to think of others more this New Year? It would not only do us a heap of good, but would no doubt do the same for others and the world as a whole. You never know when someone could use an extra smile, hug, or encouragement. Or even just to know that someone is there that cares.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a crime to make goals for yourself... Just don’t get lost in them. Don’t get so wrapped up in them that you lose sight of everyone and everything around you.

I know someone that once told me in essence that they’d accomplished their goals for others one year. When I questioned them on it, they proceeded to explain that they had saved someone’s life. I asked, “So, is that it then? If you had the chance to save someone else’s life, you just wouldn’t?” It didn’t seem like they had really thought about it.

In sharing that, don’t put limits on what you do for others either. If ever you have the chance, take it! Never limit how much you can do for others because no money can buy feeling the way you do when you help someone or simply make them smile.

We American’s are a so richly blessed (Yes, even if we are in debt.. I can attest to this.). I was reminded the other day how much even a simple dishwasher is a blessing.

We all would do well not to forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment