Saturday, June 16, 2012

Herbal Medicine, The Product Of A Caring God

I'm anemic. I found out in some scary and painful ways.

Anemia is rather common among women, I learned. Made sense. What didn't make sense was how I could maintain iron in my diet and still battle the same war every month. It became crippling and interfered with my ability to function. So, like any warrior, I had to return to the practice field; back to the range for this archer.

I've never been one for the medical field. I've been in hospitals (not for myself) and the like and don't ever wish to go back. Family and friends have gone in and always come out with the same results. Drugs or surgery. For one, I'm not interested in a "quick fix," I'm interested in a SOLUTION to the problem. And two, no one... I repeat, NO ONE... will cut or remove from the body God has so marvelously made and entrusted me with. Everything has a purpose; everything has a function.

It is my duty to maintain health and wellness, which I strive to do every day I have breath. But clearly, my dietary habits weren't enough. I had to do more. But what?

I was raised in a home where natural medicine was what we turned to instead of doctors. *gasp* And look... I'm ALIVE!!!!! It's not a miracle, it's common sense. We all get sick. It's inevitable. That doesn't mean we should run to the doctor at the first sign of "iffy." Sickness is actually a good sign. It tells us that there is something in our system that shouldn't be there and our bodies are dealing with it.

At the time, I was considering growing my own herb garden, so I began scouring BACK TO EDEN by Jethro Kloss. I had no idea there were so many different herbs! I started getting rather hopeless about finding one that might help me in the specific area I needed. It was very early spring, still a bit cool outside but life was returning.

I read of the Dandelion; "Dandelion [leaves] contains twenty-eight parts sodium. The natural nutritive salts purify the blood and help to neutralize the acids in the blood. Anemia is caused by a deficiency of proper nutrients in the blood and really has little to do with the quantity of blood. Dandelion is one of the well-known remedies." (Emphasis added.)

I squealed! This was not only a direct hit and extremely simple -just a mere matter of adding it to my diet- but it was easy. Our backyard usually had lots of Dandelion. Time to go herb hunting! Wouldn't you know, I didn't have far to go. Our backyard was covered with dandelions and their leaves. I took out a small-ish basket and filled it with leaves and there was still much more left over.

God had just delivered to me exactly what I needed through my very own yard. I can't get over how incredible that is. He used something as lowly as the weeds.

That was the beginning of the end of my trouble. I ate dandelion leaves regularly in salads and on sandwiches, just like I would regular lettuce. It's bitter, but if I eat it with something else (which I always did) I never noticed.

I haven't heard from the anemic attacks since. They cleared up immediately. Dandelion has become a normal part of my diet and I truly enjoy it! Speaking of which, I need to get more. Turns out it's also sold at the Organic Food Depot in my area. Go figure!

If you're ill, NEVER believe the lie that God doesn't care about you. He provides us with everything we need, often times in the comfort of our own backyard.

"Seek, and ye shall find..." Matthew 7:7 and Luke 11:9.

~L. Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment