Tuesday, May 19, 2009

They're All Gone!!!

Being a writer is nothing new. There are hundreds of thousands -probably even millions- of authors in the world today, and that doesn’t even include those that love to write and have yet to be published.

With all those people already writing and being heard, who’s to say that they haven’t taken all the good ideas already? What if my ideas aren’t as unique as I may think?

I say no, with a very warm chuckle. Why?

We are each so unique in every way. Like snow flakes, no two people are exactly the same. Likewise, what we write will be as well. The ideas we envision in our minds, while they may come close to something we’ve read or seen or experienced before, will not be the same.

Let me give you an example. My writing partner and I do an exercise to keep our creative juices flowing. We’ll give each other a sentence or two of a theme off the top of our heads and then we each have to write for a certain period of time and let our minds run wild concerning where that sentence will lead us.

Last time, this was the sentence I sent her... The theme was modern/thriller:

My cell phone sounded from the passengers seat. With one hand on the steering wheel, I snatched it up and accepted the text message...

Now, when I typed that up, my mind went immediately to the phone text being from the antagonist that is threatening her by holding someone she loves hostage. But, my writing partner gave it a completely opposite perspective. She wrote that the text was from her boss, who appeared to be someone in the police department. The protagonist had been on a case looking for a missing girl who had just been found. The text was to let her know they’d found her and to come right away.

Same beginning, but after that everything else was like day and night. And rightly so! My partner and I are two different people.

This is one of the many things I love about writing. There is no right or wrong way to tell a story. It’s purely at the discretion of your imagination.

Rest in knowing that your uniqueness -everything that makes you who you are- will aid you in writing something that no one else has.

I thank God for this every day. Without our differences, we would be nothing more than robots. If that were the case, I doubt there would be such a thing as writing and that pains me to think about! Unique is just another way of saying that we are truly “fearfully and wonderfully made” by an awesome Creator!

~L. Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment